With Émilie Coppermann’s L’Esprit Cologne series, The Different Company pursues, in a new style, the spirit of transparent yet sophisticated blends it initiated under its co-founder Jean-Claude Ellena.
The trick for turning a fresh-out-of-the-shower splash into a nocturnal cloak? Darken the classic citrus, neroli and jasmine accord with a sensuous balsamic base (benzoin and labdanum), and jazz it up with natural musks drawn from an angelica and ambrette duet that pulls the musk sexiness from top to base notes.
Despite its purple hue—which The Different Company swears doesn’t stain fabric—After Midnight Eau de Toilette isn’t a dusky, heavy scent, but a bracing blend as limpid as a shot of vodka, as crystalline as a top note from Chet Baker’s trumpet, as coolly burning as his voice. Who knew Cologne could go clubbing?
- Top notes: Bergamot, Angelica, Neroli.
- Heart notes: Iris, Lentisc, White Jasmine, Cinnamon.
- Base notes: Benzoin Balm of Siam, Labdanum, Ambrette Seeds, White Musk.
- Eau de Toilette: Women, Men.
- 100ml, Refillable.
- Apply as desired, to pulse points behind your ear, at the bottom of your throat, on your wrist, inside your elbow and/or behind your knee.